GREG LAURIE AND HARVEST CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP TO JOIN THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST CONVENTION

RIVERSIDE, Calif. — Greg Laurie, founding pastor of Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, California, has announced that Harvest Christian Fellowship will join the Southern Baptist Convention:

“Nearly two thousand years ago, Jesus told his disciples to take the Good News of the gospel to the entire world. I believe we are the first generation that can actually accomplish that task. Because of today’s technology, we have more opportunities for global evangelism than any generation before us and to accomplish this we must renew our emphasis on evangelism as never before. Most importantly, we must unify our efforts. We must learn to walk in common purpose and common vision. I believe the need is urgent and the time is now.

“On June 12, I announced that Harvest Christian Fellowship would be joining the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC). Harvest is an independent congregation that will continue fellowship with the Calvary Chapel family of churches as well, and this decision does not change our theology, philosophy of ministry or our history. It merely extends the reach of our fellowship within the Christian world at a time when the vision and mission of Harvest remains — as it has been for 42 years — focused on the teaching of God’s word and the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

“Long ago, I came to realize I am called by God to simply do two primary things: to teach God’s word and to preach the gospel. This is the calling of the Lord on my life. Other than my personal walk with the Lord, and loving my wife and family, this is my only focus. My passion is to reach as many people as possible with the Good News of the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ until my final breath. One of the reasons why we proclaimed 2017 ‘The Year of Good News’ is because I intend on even further amplifying my focus on gospel proclamation. It’s also why Harvest Crusades, with the assistance of the Southern Baptist Convention, organized the Harvest America 2017 crusade on June 11 at the University of Phoenix Stadium. It’s why we’ll do it all again next year in Dallas on June 10, 2018.

“We need a national revival as much as at any time in our nation’s history. We must pray for it, work toward it and do everything possible to prepare the ground for it. We must preach and pray until it comes. This is why we’ve chosen to extend a hand of fellowship to the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation’s largest protestant denomination of churches. We’ve chosen to partner in total, unrelenting pursuit of our nation’s next great awakening.

“I know the effect of the revival we seek firsthand because I came to Christ during the last great American revival, often referred to as the ‘Jesus Movement.’ That revival emanated primarily from Calvary Chapel in Southern California, and I learned to preach the gospel and to teach God’s Word myself within the Calvary Chapel movement under the example of Pastor Chuck Smith. Since that time, I’ve invested my life in the Calvary fellowship of churches while working with countless Christians from nearly every other denomination. I’ll continue to do just that, and I also look forward to continuing to build bridges between our communities. It has also been my privilege to be friends with evangelist Billy Graham (himself a Southern Baptist) for many years, and from him I learned how to preach the gospel.

“I believe that the time is right to reach across the church and to lock hands in total support of the rapid advance of the gospel in our nation and in our world. I believe this decision is a powerful step in that direction. I appreciate the SBC’s focus on evangelism as well as their outreach in missions and relief ministries that touch our world every day in a significant way.

“I look forward to partnering with them and all believers who have a passion for evangelism. The need in our country and the world is so great.”

44 thoughts on “I’m happy to announce a new partnership with the SBC, focused on bringing the Good News to our country and the world!”

1. Fred Weamer says:

I love this news!! To me, this means that God will open even more doors for greater evangelism opportunities. Thank you Pastor Greg for your leadership.

2. Anonymous says:

To God be all the glory!

3. Laura says:

I have trusted Pastor Chuck & have trusted your leadership since 1980 when you did an alter call for Christ. Through the word, through Jesus and with the power of the Holy Spirit, I believe you will make your decisions based on the will of God which can only be sought through prayer, Bless you in your newest endeavor!

4. Steve Littlejohn says:

My wife and I have fellowshipped in what was Calvary Riverside to Harvest Christian Fellowship since January 1978. I was in my late twenties and now I am in my late sixties. Five daughters and eleven grandchildren later this church, this pastor and the staff, the people have been our anchor no matter what we faced in our walk, high’s and low’s, good times, less than good times but never wavering in our faith in the Lord and his will.

5. Vanessa says:

This is exciting news! Praise God and may the whole world come to know our Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior!

6. Marc Valli says:

I believe that God is using you in a mighty way. It is God’s hand on your life and ministry. You are in our hearts and prayers.

7. Ann Eisenbarth says:

You are joining with a wonderful group. I grew up and was saved in a Southern Baptist Church and that is where my heart is. Have always loved their mission programs. From as far back as I can remember I was taught the importance of taking the gospel into all the world. You will make a wonderful impact on SBC. May God richly bless you in all that you do.

8. Lois P. Silva says:

God Bess You Greg Laurie and thank you so much for doing God’s work. We need this more than ever as the states and the world are in such turmoil. I couldn’t attend the Harvest Crusade but was praying for you and your team.

9. Marion Brown says:

Sounds so good my brother. I agree the times are urgent, the need is great. Praying for our nation of Australia to experience a great awakening.

10. Kathy Arndt says:

Praise God. The church must unite to spread the gospel of Jesus.

11. Michea says:

Good job Pastor Greg, this is cool :).

12. Jacque Pedersen says:

Good decision.

13. Pati Pluim says:

I have Learn quit a bit by the teaching of HCF/Calvey I’m very pleased to see the out reach. You are Right pastor Greg the time is “NOW” I. Have fallen on some hard Timesas many have, I will pray for our Church and the leaders who help us. I Believe in the power of prayer. And the work of the Holy Spirit as always
    Praying for our Cursades and the eirk of spreading the “good new” The truths of the Gospel
    In Christ,
    PATI

14. Donna Smith says:

Wonderful News Greg! What a blessing and honor to be a part of proclaiming the Gospel and the Good News! God will bless this!

15. Diane says:

God bless you Greg Laurie! Good move. You will reach millions more that need to hear the truth!
    Will you be in Phoenix again next year as well as TX?

16. Precy says:

Praying with this church daily!

17. Lance says:

Thanks Greg ! Thank you Lord Jesus !

18. Rose Lewis says:

I have been listening to Harvest for 3 yrs. I believe in you for this purpose. Starting June I will start supporting hatvest. I support my church, but I can give some support. Rose

19. Bob Davidson says:

Mark 16:15 says (Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation) … I find this to be a great move on behalf of Christians all around the world. Good luck and God bless Mr. Laurie

20. Steve Morrison says:

Does this mean Harvest will continue to be independent or will you be espousing the doctrine of SBC?

1. Paul says:

What’s the difference?

2. Ruben Nunez says:

Hey bro. I read this within the post: “Harvest is an independent congregation that will continue fellowship with the Calvary Chapel family of churches as well, and this decision does not change our theology, philosophy of ministry or our history. It merely extends the reach of our fellowship within the Christian world at a time when the vision and mission of Harvest remains — as it has been for 42 years — focused on the teaching of God’s word and the preaching of the gospel of Jesus Christ.” God bless you!
      -Ruben