Birthdays in Heaven?

April 1st, 2012 Posted in sermons

Today is a hard day for our family, as it is the birthday of our oldest son, Christopher, now in heaven.
He would be 37 today. We miss him with all of our hearts.
Here is what I wrote last year for his birthday:

April 1, 2011
Birthdays in Heaven

Do they celebrate birthdays in heaven? The reason I ask is, it’s my son Christopher’s birthday today and that’s exactly where he is—in heaven.

Ironic, isn’t it, that his birthday is April 1? We always laughed about that.

But back to birthdays in heaven. I don’t know if they are celebrated or not, but I do know this: There are parties!

Remember the story that Jesus told of the prodigal son? It was about a boy who ran away from home, only to later come to his senses and return to his father. Upon his return, his father threw a great party for him and celebrated.

Jesus preceded this great story by saying, “Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents” (Luke 15:10). Sounds like a party to me!

When a party is done right, you have family, friends, and those you love around you. Gifts are given in honor of the one whose birth is celebrated. There is often a meal, always a cake, and the obligatory singing of “Happy Birthday to You!”

Christopher is certainly with family in Heaven. He is there with his grandmother (my mom), Charlene,whom he was very close to. He is also there with my father, his grandfather, Oscar Laurie. Joining them are my grandparents, whom we called “Daddy Charles” and “Mama Stella.” As a matter of fact, Christopher’s first daughter is named after his great-grandmother, Stella McDaniel. Christopher’s second daughter, Lucy Christopher Laurie, is named after him.

I know in heaven there is feasting and family. Joy and happiness. No pain.

I miss my boy with all of my heart and look forward to the day I will see him again. He would be 36 years old if he were here with us.

Happy birthday, Christopher David Laurie.

19 Responses to “Birthdays in Heaven?”

1. Lene timama says:

Heavens encourage you more sir.

2. Sharon Ellwood says:

Dear Pastor Greg and Family,I wish you all much peace as you think of Christopher on his birthday.My sister went to Heaven 4.5 years ago at the age of 43.I miss her terribly and I think of her everyday.Since then I have been going to church on a regular basis and became so much closer to God.I wanted also to know more about Heaven and what she was doing.You are a great pastor and I love listening to your powerful messages.We can be at peace knowing our loved ones are rejoicing with Our God in Heaven.Blessings to you all.

3. Abraham says:

Pastor Greg and family, My prayers are with you as your hearts remember the the memories. As a tall old oak tree brings forth new buds in the springtime that so quickly become living green leaves. In the fall they all too soon will fall to the ground preparing for another season. Yet first you get to see the magnificent splendor of God’s rainbow colours as they forever leave an imprint in your mind soul.

4. Debora Savage says:

Dear Greg & Cathe, after losing my daughter 9/10/10, I had a hard time. And recently I have come to realize – “It’s not goodbye, It’s See Ya Later! They’re in loving arms and in peace -
    Your sister in Christ

5. Susan says:

Dear Greg and Cathe, I have not lost a child to death, but I’ve lost a child to a broken relationship. Just as you have hope, I hang on to hope. What is our hope? Our hope is JESUS! The pain is real. The sorrow is pervasive. Isn’t it wonderful we can lay our pain at the feet of Jesus and He understands? There are so many things we will never really comprehend while we are here on earth, but we trust our HOLY and GOOD GOD. I so appreciate your ministry and your interview with Randy Alcorn. Both have blessed me immensely. Thank you for walking with Jesus, despite your pain. Your sister in Christ

6. Justine says:

We are missing Chris today too! He was always visiting us in the Web department at Harvest, and making us laugh.
    He was a listening ear to anyone with concerns or worries. He was a prankster, and Im sure he would have had a really funny prank to play on someone on his birthday.

We are thankful for our time with him, as a co worker and as our friend and brother in the Lord!

7. Tracey Mitchell says:

I too lost my oldest daughter Haley, to cancer, she was a beautiful girl, age 22, multihandicapped, and mentally impaired, but despite all of this, she had a wonderful life, and I KNOW she lives in Heaven with her grandparents, friends that have passed before her, and GOD and Jesus. Her death sparked my reconnection for faith, and like you, wanting (for myself) more than ever to get to Heaven to be with her again. I listen to you every day, read your books, and read the Bible, go to church, and live for the day I go home to be with GOD and my beloved Haley, parents, and family! Thank you for YOU!
    Love,
    Tracey

8. Alex says:

A father’s love for his sons and daughters never ceases. It cannot be taken away or forgotten. Thanks Pastor Greg for reminding me of this. No matter what happens they always will be a part of us. Praying God give you Joy & Peace on these difficult day.

9. Mary G. says:

Dear Greg & Cathe, and family, I am immensely grateful for this rare opportunity to celebrate your son Christopher’s birthday today. Most grateful always, Mary.G.

10. Rachel says:

As a child, Easter meant going to church, playing games and collecting easter eggs, even an easter basket. Today as I thought of Easter I could only think of one thing. And that is the hope of seeing my older brother again one day, and also of my infant child that is also there. I thought of you, how Easter has also taken on a special meaning I am certain, since your son is now in Heaven. When my brother died Heaven became personal. I knew I had to get there someday. Because now it carried people very dear to me. I pray that God will give you an extra gift of peace this birthday as you celebrate the gift of Chris. I also pray that this Easter will strengthen us in the truth of the knowledge that because of God’s gift to us of his own son, and that in God’s perfect time, we’ll be reunited with our loved ones. God Bless you greatly is my sincerest prayer.

11. Laura Mapstead says:

Thanks for sharing. We recently went through the birthday of my son who would have been 21 this year. He committed suicide about a year ago. We miss him terribly. I feel your pain. Sorry you had a hard day. So glad to hear you are blest with your son’s children. I am so sad my son never got married and had children. Looking forward to the day we will all be reunited in heaven for eternity. Blessings to you and your family! Laura

12. john lane says:

Praying for you, your wife, and all your family that is on this side. John Lane (Arkansan in Tucson). PS I know where Friendship, AR is.

13. Trisha says:

May our Lord and Savior comfort you and your family as you remember Christopher on this special day.

14. debbie says:

Happy birthday Christopher!

15. Jimmy Sandi says:

I lost my wife, we were together for 47 years and I am having a hard time accepting it. Alcoholism is a terible thing. My Att. Mark Wuebben who is conected with your church has helped me more than I can ever repay. Your faith is so sure. How do you believe that you will see them again. I know this is a selfish thought, but it consumes me. I enjoy listing to you.

16. josh and tammy williams says:

we are sorry your son is not here with you on his birthday. We pray for you and your family as you go through this time of remembering him. May God Bless you and your family Pastor Greg.

17. Cheryl Iavicoli says:

Pastor Laurie, praying especially for you and your family today and many days. Our daughter just celebrated her 39th birthday in heaven. I know that each day in heaven is a grand celebration with Jesus! We attended your church in Riverside when it met in a tiny house and we were there until the new facility was built and I remember your loving references about Topher. Your messages and teaching have helped me through the journey of losing a child. I live with the HOPE and the PEACE that we will be with our daughter again soon and that you will be with your precious son. Praying and lifting you to Jesus today. In HIS love, Cheryl

18. Randy Pignatello says:

Pastor Greg,i always wanted to write you and tell you how you (and Cathe) have shown great Faithfulness and Godliness not only through your years of ministry , but than with the homegoing of your son.I have always loved listening to your down-to-earth style,and how you have always stayed solid in your doctrine and teaching.Thanks for being a great example to the church.Iknow you would be the first to admit that you aren’t perfect but you are one minister i know i can point people to as new believers and i know you will teach solid doctrine and Faith .Thanks for everything…..love your Bro in Christ, Randy

19. Bernie says:

Greg, my prayers are with you and have been at various times since the graduation of your son into glory! Thanks for your heart in this and today’s blog reminds us of the value of family and friends and our ultimate hope of salvation and heaven! You have modeled grace and trust and also vulnerability and it is refreshing. As a pastor and Dad and grandpa just know you are admired and respected and loved! Thanks for your heart and yes, Happy Birthday Christopher, Bernie Federmann